Monday, February 15, 2010

Sewing with Holly

My Nana taught me to sew when I was a little girl, so it's always something I've been interested in, but have never fully pursued. Recently I've become absolutely determined to learn how to sew properly, so I've been learning and practicing with some friends. My friend Holly is an incredibly talented seamstress, and has been helping me on some projects. This has proven to be such a wonderful experience. Holly has this amazing sewing room at her house, and it's always such a pleasure to sew with her in her beautiful space.

I feel like in some ways I'm channeling my Nana by doing this, while refining a skill I didn't fully recognize I had. It's sort of like riding a bike...cutting out fabric, lining up seams, sewing straight lines, and voila!  You have 1/2 a project completed in only a few hours. Today I worked on a baby quilt for my new niece to be (she's due in April). I just love combining all these different prints and you end up with the whole new creation.  Holly and I went to this Amish quilt show at the deYoung Museum on Friday night and it totally inspired me to do something with lots of little blocks.  I've still got a lot of work to do, but nice to see so much progress on a project in only 1 afternoon. 

The original 6 fabrics I picked out at Cliffs (the butterflies are my fav)

 
 A sampling of additional fabrics from Holly

A sneak peak...

No comments: